Cooking with CBD can be a lot easier if you prepare some of the ingredients ahead of time. For example, CBD oil can be made in large batches, stored away in your cupboard, and pulled out whenever you want to add a few drops into whatever you’re cooking. In this article, we’ll show you exactly how to make a basic oil at home. We’ll also throw in a few similar recipes to have on hand. Let’s get started!
Important note on decarboxylation
To get the most of the recipes listed here, you need to make sure that you decarboxylate your hemp flower beforehand. This basically means that you first should activate the cannabidiol by heating the hemp to about 220 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes to an hour.
You can do this by grinding your hemp and placing it on a baking sheet. Pop it into a preheated oven at the recommended temperatures, set a timer, and just wait for the magic to happen! This process releases the hemp’s potency, which is exactly what you want.
It’s important that you keep an eye on the oven to ensure the temperature isn’t too high and your CBD isn’t heated for too long, as this can take away from the potency of the substance.
Recipe 1: Basic CBD oil
CBD oil can serve as the foundation of many recipes, but it’s best to use it decarbed in order for it to be at its maximum effectiveness. You can use the oil in a salad dressing or as a garnish in your favorite soup.
- 2 cups of oil (coconut, vegetable, and olive oil are great choices)
- 1 ounce of decarboxylated hemp
- 3 cups of water
- Pour the oil together with the hemp into the top compartment of a double-boiler, after filling the bottom compartment with water. If you don’t have a double-boiler, use a small saucepan and a mixing bowl that can be placed on top.
- Bring the water to a slow boil, gently heating the oil for about six hours.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the oil mixture to a clean jar or bottle by passing it through a strainer or cheese cloth to remove the ground hemp.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for future use.
Recipe 2: CBD butter
CBD butter is sometimes referred to as cannabutter, short for cannabis butter. Regardless of what you call it, it’s a great basic ingredient that you can use in many dishes. Mix it with some chopped herbs and minced garlic to top off a steak, or add it to your morning cup of joe to make bulletproof coffee.
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, or ghee
- 1 ounce of decarboxylated hemp
- Strainer/Cheese Cloth
- Place the butter in a small saucepan, heating it over low-medium heat until the butter melts.
- Once the butter has turned to liquid, stir in the hemp and let the mixture simmer for two hours.
- Turn off the heat and pass the butter mixture through a strainer or cheese cloth into a clean container. Store in the fridge.
Pro Tip – You can add water to the butter while cooking. What this does is the chlorophyl and some other water soluble compounds remain in the water, and the butter floats to the top during the cooling period. That means the butter will taste less like hemp and more like butter.
Recipe 3: CBD bacon drippings
This recipe obviously calls for bacon, so while the intention is to add cannabidiol to the bacon grease, you also end up with crispy, CBD-laced bacon that’s ready to eat! You can use the final product in place of oil for most recipes, but one of the best ways to make full use of all that flavor is to use the drippings as the foundation of a sauce.
- 1 pound of bacon
- 1 ounce of ground decarboxylated hemp
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook bacon in your preferred method. Pan frying is our owner’s favorite way!
- Collect the rendered drippings from the tray and transfer to a double boiler, or into a glass bowl on top of boiling water in a pot
- Mix in the ground hemp into the bacon, and cook over a slow boil for 4-6 hours.
- Transfer to a glass jar, let cool, then refrigerate for safe keeping
If you like a little dash of CBD in your dishes, these make-ahead recipes will be a game-changer. Whether you’re making salad or steak, toss in some CBD for a delicious way to take your supplements!
If you’re looking for CBD flower to use in these cooking recipes, Wellspring CBD is your best option. Get in touch with us today! We’re happy to help.